Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
Fattening but scrumptious, this hearty soup makes an excellent meal!
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 12 slices bacon
- 2⁄3 cup butter
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 cups whole milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 4 tablespoons minced onion seasoning
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- Wash and wrap baking potatoes in foil. Bake @ 400 degrees for 1 to 2 hrs, until fork tender.
- Cut potatoes in half. Spoon out the potato filling and place lumps in bowl. Set aside.
- Cook bacon, either in the microwave or in a skillet. Crumble bacon and set aside. (I love using my food processor to crumble it!).
- In a stock pot or Dutch oven, melt the butter under medium heat.
- Whisk in flour until smooth.
- Gradually stir in milk, whisking constantly until thickened.
- Stir in potatoes.
- Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat, and simmer 10-15 minutes.
- Mix in minced onion seasoning, bacon, cheese, sour cream, salt, and pepper.
- Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until cheese is melted.
- Serve and enjoy!