This is an easy-on-your-waistline recipe that still delivers on flavor. "Dirty rice is a classic Cajun dish made "dirty" by cooking the rice with minced livers or gizzards. This is a healthier version using brown rice and lean ground beef", says the author at skinnytaste.com.
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 1 cube Knorr chicken bouillon
- 2 bay leaves, divided use
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne, divided use
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne, divided use
- 1⁄8 teaspoon paprika, divided use
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika, divided use
- 1⁄8 teaspoon thyme, divided use
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme, divided use
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- salt and fresh pepper, to taste
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 scallions, chopped
- Cook brown rice according to package directions in water along with a chicken bouillon, 1 bay leaf and 1/4 tsp salt and 1/8 each of salt, cayenne, paprika and thyme.
- When the rice is almost done cooking, heat a large heavy saucepan on medium-low heat. Add the oil, onions, green pepper, celery, bay leaf and garlic. Sauté on medium-low heat until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add beef, salt, black pepper, remaining paprika, thyme and cayenne pepper. Sauté until browned, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add shrimp, cover and cook 5 more minutes.
- When the rice is done, toss with beef and shrimp and combine well. Top with scallions and serve.