Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is an easy-on-your-waistline recipe that still delivers on flavor. "Dirty rice is a classic Cajun dish made "dirty" by cooking the rice with minced livers or gizzards. This is a healthier version using brown rice and lean ground beef", says the author at skinnytaste.com.
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 1 cube Knorr chicken bouillon
- 2 bay leaves, divided use
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne, divided use
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne, divided use
- 1⁄8 teaspoon paprika, divided use
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika, divided use
- 1⁄8 teaspoon thyme, divided use
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme, divided use
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- salt and fresh pepper, to taste
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 scallions, chopped
- Cook brown rice according to package directions in water along with a chicken bouillon, 1 bay leaf and 1/4 tsp salt and 1/8 each of salt, cayenne, paprika and thyme.
- When the rice is almost done cooking, heat a large heavy saucepan on medium-low heat. Add the oil, onions, green pepper, celery, bay leaf and garlic. Sauté on medium-low heat until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add beef, salt, black pepper, remaining paprika, thyme and cayenne pepper. Sauté until browned, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add shrimp, cover and cook 5 more minutes.
- When the rice is done, toss with beef and shrimp and combine well. Top with scallions and serve.
This recipe gets a big thumbs up. I typically have precooked brown rice in the freezer which made quick work of this recipe. The recipe was reduced to 2 wonderful servings using a country style sausage in place of the ground beef. The recipe was lacking a little with spice but was easily corrected with some Tabasco on the side. Made for ZWT9.
I really liked this. I have only had Dirty Rice once before ( from a boxed mix )and hated it, so this was a nice surprise. Thanks for sharing, made for ZWT9
This rice was simple and delicious. It was not overly spicy and was very filling even though it is a lighter version of a classic. I love that this dirty rice used brown rice, as I am always looking for a new way to get healthy grains into our diet. Thanks for such a great recipe Justlori. Made for ZWT9 for Team Tasty Testers.