1/3 Photos of Skinny Dirty Brown Rice With Shrimp
This is an easy-on-your-waistline recipe that still delivers on flavor. "Dirty rice is a classic Cajun dish made "dirty" by cooking the rice with minced livers or gizzards. This is a healthier version using brown rice and lean ground beef", says the author at skinnytaste.com.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 1 cube Knorr chicken bouillon
- 2 bay leaves, divided use
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne, divided use
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne, divided use
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika, divided use
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika, divided use
- 1/8 teaspoon thyme, divided use
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme, divided use
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 lb lean ground beef
- salt and fresh pepper, to taste
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1Cook brown rice according to package directions in water along with a chicken bouillon, 1 bay leaf and 1/4 tsp salt and 1/8 each of salt, cayenne, paprika and thyme.
- 2When the rice is almost done cooking, heat a large heavy saucepan on medium-low heat. Add the oil, onions, green pepper, celery, bay leaf and garlic. Sauté on medium-low heat until soft, about 5 minutes.
- 3Add beef, salt, black pepper, remaining paprika, thyme and cayenne pepper. Sauté until browned, about 10-15 minutes.
- 4Add shrimp, cover and cook 5 more minutes.
- 5When the rice is done, toss with beef and shrimp and combine well. Top with scallions and serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Skinny Dirty Brown Rice With Shrimp
Serving Size: 1 (281 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 378.0
- Calories from Fat 73
- Total Fat 8.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 144.0 mg
- Sodium 564.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 26.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Knorr chicken bouillon