Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
Another gem from Australian Good Taste magazine.
- 80 ml water
- 100 g caster sugar
- 3 small orange sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into 2mm-thick slices (kumara)
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons flaked sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dried piri-piri, seasoning
- tzatziki, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Line 2 baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
- Combine the water and sugar in a medium saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until sugar dissolves.
- Remove from heat and set aside for 10 minutes to cool slightly then Add the sweet potato and set aside, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes to soak.
- Meanwhile, combine the cumin, sea salt flakes and piri piri seasoning in a bowl.
- Drain the sweet potato and discard syrup. Place the sweet potato, in a single layer, on the prepared trays. Sprinkle with half the salt mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven, swapping trays halfway through cooking, for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and turn over the sweet potato slices. Sprinkle with the remaining salt mixture. Bake in oven for a further 20-30 minutes or until sweet potato chips are light brown around the edges.
- Remove from the oven and set aside for 25 minutes to cool.
- Spoon tzatziki into a serving bowl and serve with sweet potato chips.