Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe is from scratch and has much less calories than the commercial brands. From Kathleen Daelemans' Getting Thin and Loving Food! I have made this using soy milk and almond milk. You may also add 1 star anise and 6 allspice berries. I have also tried using different teas, such as green and herbal. If using tea bags, try about 4. Smells as good as it tastes!
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 green cardamom pods
- 12 whole cloves
- 1⁄4 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 6 whole black peppercorns
- 7 cups water
- 2 tablespoons darjeeling tea leaves
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup milk
- In a medium saucepan, combine all spices and water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and steep for 10 minutes.
- Add tea leaves (or bags) and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Strain mixture, discard spices, and return to saucepan.
- Whisk in brown sugar and milk.
- Serve immediately.
Loved this! I did add an extra 2Tb brown sugar. Just delicious. Thank you. :) MAde for Comfort Cafe 7/09.