Salad should be good for you right? Not always. Sometimes salads can have more calories than that burger you wanted in the first place. It is all about what and how much you put on it -- especially if it is going to be a meal!
- 6 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 2 cups small broccoli florets
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 2 cups frozen sweet peas, cooked, drained
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into thin bite-size strips
- 2 medium stalk celery, thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 6 slices bacon, crisply cooked, drained and crumbled
- 5 medium green onions, thinly sliced (5 tablespoons)
- 3⁄4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese (2 oz)
- Place salad greens in large salad bowl. In order given, layer the next seven salad ingredients over greens.
- In small bowl, mix all dressing ingredients except cheese until well blended.
- Spoon dressing over salad; sprinkle with cheese.
- Toss salad to coat.