1/1 Photo of Skinnier Moist Chocolate Snack Cake
If you are not a fan of cake mixes, this recipe is NOT for you! I enjoy tinkering with the mixes to see what can be added to, subtracted from or substituted for the recommended ingredients. Today's play-time began with a box of Pillsbury Reduced-Sugar chocolate cake mix and a handful of cappuccino flavored baking chips. I am quite pleased with the results - a very moist, fragrant cake that is a little easier on my waistline than most. I'm recording my experiment here so I can do this one again.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 510.29 g box reduced-sugar chocolate cake mix
- 118.29 ml egg substitute (or use 2 eggs)
- 78.07 ml vegetable oil
- 113.39 g prune baby food (1 jar)
- 177.44 ml nonfat milk (I used soy)
- 2.46 ml ground ginger
- 4.92 ml ground cinnamon
- 9.85 ml instant coffee granules
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 4.92 ml cinnamon extract
- 59.14 ml cappuccino chips (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Coat bottom of 9-inch X 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- 3Throw all the stuff in a big, deep bowl and beat the heck out it with electric mixer; medium speed for 2 minutes. (If you use the optional chips, stir them in last unless you want them pulverized.).
- 4Spread the batter into prepared pan. Batter will be thick, sorta like a brownie batter.
- 5Bake for 35 minutes or till top springs back when touched, tester comes out clean and cake starts to pull away from sides of pan.
- 6NB - I tried something I read in an America's Test Kitchen cookbook - rotated the pan at half-time (~16 minutes). Supposedly, professional bakers do this to achieve an even rise. I do have a level-er than normal-for-me cake so I must have been baking in the dark for the past 40 years. ;-).
- 7I like it best still warm, straight up without icing or any decorative frou-frou. Feel free to pimp it up if you want to.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Skinnier Moist Chocolate Snack Cake
Serving Size: 1 (31 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 58.2
- Calories from Fat 43
- Total Fat 4.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.3 mg
- Sodium 20.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 1.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-sugar chocolate cake mix