Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a very tasty, healthy, easy taco recipe. From Southern Living.
- 2 red bell peppers, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3⁄4 cup sweet white wine
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 12 (8 inch) fat free tortillas, warmed
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese (or cheese of your choice)
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat; add in the first 5 ingredients; stir/saute for 5 minutes or until veggies are tender.
- Add in cumin and oregano; stir/saute for 2 minutes.
- Stir in wine; lower heat; simmer for 10 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Add in beans; cook until thoroughly heated.
- Add in spinach; cook to minutes or until spinach wilts.
- Serve in warm tortillas with cheese.
It was VERY bland, and there was nothing that brough the flavors together. It also took 10 minutes longer than the stated cooking time to get enough liquid out.
These tacos are good for you and absolutely delicious in every way, although a little bit messy to eat. The sweet wine and cheese (I used some leftover goat cheese I had on hand) together gave this recipe a sublime taste. Will most definitely make this again, and next time I will include the jalapeno which I forgot to add this time. (Mushrooms I left out on purpose as I don't eat them.) Thanks for this recipe NurseDi!