Prep 30 mins
Cook 12 mins
This super delicious, super easy recipe is a perfect example of how appreciative you'll be of your cast iron skillet, as it goes from stovetop into the oven with ease.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning mix
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 3⁄4 cups biscuit mix
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 3 cups shredded lettuce
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup sliced black olives
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- In an 10 or 11-inch ovenproof skillet, brown ground beef; drain.
- Add taco seasoning mix and tomato sauce to ground beef.
- Simmer 5 minutes.
- Spread mixture evenly in skillet.
- Remove from heat.
- In a mixing bowl, blend biscuit mix and milk.
- On a lightly floured surface, pat dough to form a circle about 1 inch smaller than the skillet.
- Transfer dough to top of beef mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Place a large platter or pizza pan upside down on skillet.
- Using pot holders, carefully turn skillet and platter over to transfer Taco Pie onto platter.
- Assemble Taco Pie by sprinkling cheese to within 1 inch of edge of beef mixture.
- Distribute lettuce to within 1 inch of edge of cheese.
- Place tomatoes in center of cheese layer.
- Make 6 dallops of sour cream on pie.
- Garnish with olives.
- Cut into 6 wedges.
- Yield: 6 servings.
This is a fairly simple recipe. The taste is good although the taco seasoning seemed to need more moisture or something. May add some water next time or reduce the amount of seasoning. Definitely use the toppings because they bring the flavor all together.