Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Not knowing what to make for dinner tonight, I searched my cupboards to see what I could throw together. I was just going to add some meat and hide some veggies in some mac n cheese but was inspired by the giant container of taco seasoning on my counter that I had just purchased from Costco. The results were good enough that my husband and I were fighting over the leftovers for lunch tomorrow and the kids have requested I make it again. This recipe is easy with boxed macaroni and cheese but of course can be made healthier if you prepare your own. I topped it with a little sour cream and served with a crisp green salad for a complete meal. Yummy!
- 2 (10 ounce) boxes Kraft macaroni and cheese, prepared as directed
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can whole kernel corn (drained)
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 4 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup milk (for macaroni and cheese preparation)
- 1⁄2 cup butter (for macaroni and cheese preparation)
- sour cream (optional)
- Heat water for macaroni.
- While water heats, dice onion and celery.
- In large skillet, cook ground beef, onion and celery until meat is no longer pink.
- Add tomatoes (with liquid), corn, and taco seasoning to meat mixture and let simmer.
- While meat simmers, prepare mac and cheese as directed.
- Combine meat mixture with mac and cheese, mixing well.
- Serve with sour cream.
We also added fresh tomatoes and green peppers, and it made a kid and parent friendly meal. I used leftover taco meat and frozen corn, as well. Very good!
My husband and I made this and absolutely LOVE it! I am on bed rest so we needed something easy but good. This was just the ticket! We added fresh green peppers and tomatoes.