Recipe by Glori-B
A friend's gift of a cabbage from his garden had me scrambling for a recipe. I love stuffed cabbage but not the work. So with a little bit of this and that, this one pot meal was born. DH loved it and gleefully devoured left overs.
- 1 cabbage, shredded
- 3 tablespoons oil (I prefer coconut)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 lb ground turkey (can be beef, if you prefer)
- 1 cup rice
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice, ground
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (or 1 T agave syrup if sugar is a problem)
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onions in oil until translucent. About 5 minutes.
- Add turkey to onions and cook on medium heat, stirring to break up into small crumbles.
- Add rice, water, ketchup, ginger and allspice. Bring to boil. Then turn to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Mix diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, apple cider vinegar and sugar (or agave). Adjust sweetness. Check salt level.
- Top meat and rice mixture with cabbage shreds. Top cabbage with tomato mixture. Simmer 30 minutes or until cabbage is tender.