Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I love sweet potatoes, and this is one of my favorites. Points...2.
- 1 lb sweet potato, peeled and sliced or diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange rind, finely shredded
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon molasses or 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
- In a large skillet bring 1 inch of water to boiling.
- Add sweet potatoes; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or till tender.
- Drain well.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, in a small bowl combine orange peel, orange juice, molasses or brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, and allspice.
- Pour over potatoes skillet.
- Cook and stir gently till bubbly.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or till potatoes are glazed, spooning sauce over potatoes occasionally.
- Makes 4 servings.
- NOTE: If desired, substitute one 18-ounce can sweet potatoes for fresh sweet potatoes.
- Cut potatoes into 2-inch pieces.
- Place in a 1-quart casserole.
- Pour sauce over sweet potatoes.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree oven about 30 minutes or till heated through and sauce is bubbly.
I've had this in my cookbook for years, and I'm SO glad I finally tried it! These were some of the most unique and yummy sweet potatoes I've ever had! I made the brown sugar version, and the way the orange flavor binds with the sweet potato flavor just creates this really different yet delicious taste. Since I was cooking more than a pound of sweet potatoes, I just diced and cooked them in my veggie steamer, then skipped down to step 5 and continued from there. This made it super easy next day, as I just whipped up a new batch of glaze and added it to my precooked potatoes, making a fresh batch. My mom, who does not care about sweet potatoes, told me "Now I would eat sweet potatoes if you make them like THAT!" I served them with some turkey and recipe #207581 and what a yummy dinner! I think this would also compliment chicken as well. Thank you Dancer^ for sharing!