Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Many people, me included, love stuffed cabbage but don't like all that tedious rolling. Here's a recipe that gives flavor without the work.
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (6 3/4 ounce) package Spanish rice mix
- 2 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 (16 ounce) bagshredded cabbage or 1 (16 ounce) bag coleslaw mix
- 1 (26 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce, with peppers and mushrooms
- In a 4 or 5-quart saucepot, cook ground beef and onion over medium-high heat, stirring frequently for 5 minutes or until beef is cooked through, drain any fat.
- Stir in rice mix, water and allspice.
- Bring mixture to a boil then reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer 10 minutes; stir.
- Top with shredded cabbage and press down gently.
- Pour spaghetti sauce over cabbage.
- Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes until cabbage is just tender.