Recipe by Cucina Casalingo
Strata is a baked bread and egg casserole served for breakfast or brunch. This a quick and easy version that could be prepared any time of day as a one-pot meal. The strata can be prepared in a single skillet by building it in steps. Sauté onions, add the bread, and finally the eggs and asparagus, which have been par-cooked in the microwave. The skillet is then slid into an oven to cook through. Tangy, herb-and-garlic-flavored Boursin cheese adds big flavor easily.
- 1 lb asparagus (tough ends snapped off, spears cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces)
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, minced
- table salt
- 4 slices hearty white bread, cut into 1-inch squares
- 3⁄4 cup boursin cheese, crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss asparagus with 2 tablespoons water in microwave-safe bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap and microwave on high power until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Drain.
- Whisk eggs, milk, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper together in large bowl.
- Melt butter in large nonstick ovensafe skillet over medium-high heat.
- When butter foams, swirl to coat skillet and add onion and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Cook until onion is soft, about 3 minutes.
- Toast the bread so that it better absorbs the egg mixture and also deepens the bread’s flavor.
- Add bread and cook, stirring frequently, until bread and onion are lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Be careful not to brown the onions too quickly--they will continue to brown as they cook with the bread.
- Off heat, stir in asparagus and egg mixture until well incorporated.
- Scatter cheese on top and bake until top is puffed and edges have pulled away from sides of pan, 15 to 20 minutes.