1/2 Photos of Skillet Steak With Mushroom Sauce
This is delicious and quite easy to prepare, I have even made this recipe using pork tenderloin, the sauce recipe can be doubled if desired, make sure to brown the meat on both sides this will contribute to the flavour of the dish and make certain to leave the steak sit out to almost room temperature so plan well ahead --- this is very good!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb sirloin steak (3/4-in thick)
- 1/4 cup butter, divided
- salt & freshly ground black pepper (do not use too much salt)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms (can use a little more)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (optional, can use more) (optional)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish or 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1Season the steak with pepper, then let the steak sit out to almost room temperature, this will help relax the meat fibers and make for a more tender and flavorful steak (just before frying season the steak with a small amount of salt).
- 2In a large skillet, melt half the butter over high heat; brown steak on both sides (about 2 minutes per side).
- 3Transfer to a plate.
- 4Reduce heat to med-high; add remaining butter to skillet.
- 5Cook onions, mushrooms and thyme, stirring for 10 minutes, or until liquid is released, and the mushrooms are starting to brown.
- 6Add in the garlic (if using) and cook for 2 minutes.
- 7Add flour and cook stirring for 1 minute.
- 8Gradually stir in beef stock, cream and horseradish.
- 9Reduce heat, and simmer, stirring for 5 minutes, or until sauce is thickened.
- 10Return steak, and any accumulated juices to pan; simmer for 5 minutes, or until steak is desired doneness.
- 11Let steak rest for 5 minutes.
- 12Season sauce with more salt and pepper to taste.
- 13Slice steak thinly across the grain, and serve with the sauce.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Skillet Steak With Mushroom Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (337 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 602.0
- Calories from Fat 399
- Total Fat 44.3 g
- Saturated Fat 23.4 g
- Cholesterol 183.9 mg
- Sodium 565.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 37.3 g