Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is delicious and quite easy to prepare, I have even made this recipe using pork tenderloin, the sauce recipe can be doubled if desired, make sure to brown the meat on both sides this will contribute to the flavour of the dish and make certain to leave the steak sit out to almost room temperature so plan well ahead --- this is very good!
- 1 lb sirloin steak (3/4-in thick)
- 1⁄4 cup butter, divided
- salt & freshly ground black pepper (do not use too much salt)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms (can use a little more)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (optional, can use more) (optional)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish or 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Directions See How It's Made
- Season the steak with pepper, then let the steak sit out to almost room temperature, this will help relax the meat fibers and make for a more tender and flavorful steak (just before frying season the steak with a small amount of salt).
- In a large skillet, melt half the butter over high heat; brown steak on both sides (about 2 minutes per side).
- Transfer to a plate.
- Reduce heat to med-high; add remaining butter to skillet.
- Cook onions, mushrooms and thyme, stirring for 10 minutes, or until liquid is released, and the mushrooms are starting to brown.
- Add in the garlic (if using) and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add flour and cook stirring for 1 minute.
- Gradually stir in beef stock, cream and horseradish.
- Reduce heat, and simmer, stirring for 5 minutes, or until sauce is thickened.
- Return steak, and any accumulated juices to pan; simmer for 5 minutes, or until steak is desired doneness.
- Let steak rest for 5 minutes.
- Season sauce with more salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice steak thinly across the grain, and serve with the sauce.