Recipe by BecR
I like to serve this easy one-pan dish throughout the holidays, when fresh cranberries are in season! Frozen or dried cranberries could also be used, for all year round appeal. Feel free to adjust sweetness to your tastes (we like it tangy, aromatic, and not too sweet). This chicken is great served with stuffing or rice, and your favorite seasonal vegetables.
Top Review by rpgaymer
We enjoyed this. The sauce reminded me of the traditional cranberry sauce I make during the holidays, but the added mango chutney gives it a nice exotic flavor. I had to use dry cranberries instead of fresh, and soaked them in water for about 30 minutes before using them- worked well for me.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons water or 2 tablespoons apple juice
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 cooking apple, cored and diced
- 1⁄3 cup fruit chutney (I used Peach Chutney)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons finely grated fresh orange zest
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, to taste
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper, cinnamon, allspice, 1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange zest, and the ginger.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Carefully add the chicken breast halves and sear for about 2 minutes on each side. Now add the 2 tablespoons water or apple juice and reduce heat to a simmer, cover pan, and cook until chicken is done, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter and keep warm.
- To make sauce, add the cranberries, diced apple, chutney, 1 teaspoon grated orange zest, orange juice, brown sugar, and cider vinegar to the pan, stirring up any browned bits. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, stirring all the while. Then reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring from time to time, until some cranberries begin to burst and apples are softened, about 10 minutes.
- Place the chicken in the sauce, toss to coat and heat through briefly.
- Serve sauce with chicken, accompanied with rice or stuffing and your favorite seasonal vegetables.