1/3 Photos of Skillet Spiced Cranberry Chicken
I like to serve this easy one-pan dish throughout the holidays, when fresh cranberries are in season! Frozen or dried cranberries could also be used, for all year round appeal. Feel free to adjust sweetness to your tastes (we like it tangy, aromatic, and not too sweet). This chicken is great served with stuffing or rice, and your favorite seasonal vegetables.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons water or 2 tablespoons apple juice
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 cooking apple, cored and diced
- 1/3 cup fruit chutney (I used Peach Chutney)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated fresh orange zest
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, to taste
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, to taste
- 1Season the chicken with salt and pepper, cinnamon, allspice, 1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange zest, and the ginger.
- 2Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Carefully add the chicken breast halves and sear for about 2 minutes on each side. Now add the 2 tablespoons water or apple juice and reduce heat to a simmer, cover pan, and cook until chicken is done, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter and keep warm.
- 3To make sauce, add the cranberries, diced apple, chutney, 1 teaspoon grated orange zest, orange juice, brown sugar, and cider vinegar to the pan, stirring up any browned bits. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, stirring all the while. Then reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring from time to time, until some cranberries begin to burst and apples are softened, about 10 minutes.
- 4Place the chicken in the sauce, toss to coat and heat through briefly.
- 5Serve sauce with chicken, accompanied with rice or stuffing and your favorite seasonal vegetables.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Skillet Spiced Cranberry Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (215 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 247.0
- Calories from Fat 89
- Total Fat 9.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 75.5 mg
- Sodium 139.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 9.4 g
- Protein 25.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: