Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
I got this recipe before my step-came to live with us. But since he doesn't like cabbage I can still make it.
- 1 slice bacon
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 small apple, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- Fry bacon till crisp; drain and reserve drippings.
- Add onion to drippings and cook 2 minutes.
- Stir in vinegar, water, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Bring just to boiling.
- Add cabbage and apple; toss to coat.
- Cover and cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until cabbage wilts.
- Stir in sour cream and sprinkle with crumbled bacon.
Very simple and very good, I bought two 'baby cabbages' to make this and it was a perfect amount for three of us. The vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar) and sugar (brown), give this almost a 'sauerkraut' taste, and the sour cream provides a pleasant moistness without being an actual sauce. I just loved the flavours in this dish. Very quickly prepared, I will definitely make this tasty side-dish again!