Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Notes: If you don't own a skillet that can go from stove top to oven, transfer the mixture to a covered baking dish in step 2.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs extra-large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus 1 teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- salt, to taste
- 4 ounces chorizo sausage or 4 ounces kielbasa, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 6 medium garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 1 1⁄2 cups medium grain rice
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups water
- 1 (8 ounce) bottle clam juice
- 1 cup frozen peas
- pepper, to taste
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350°F
- Toss shrimp with 1 tablespoon oil, paprika, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in medium bowl. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat until smoking. Add half of shrimp and cook until lightly browned, 30 to 40 seconds. Turn shrimp and cook 30 seconds longer. Transfer shrimp to clean bowl. Repeat with remaining shrimp. Cover bowl and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium and add remaining 1 tablespoon oil, chorizo, onion, and garlic. Cook until sausage begins to brown, 5 to 6 minutes. Add rice and cook 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes, water, clam juice, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to boil over high heat, cover, and transfer skillet to oven. Cook until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Remove skillet from oven, stir in peas, and scatter shrimp over top. Cover and set aside until shrimp and peas are heated through, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve directly from hot skillet.