Recipe by cookCol
This is a recipe from Cooks Country Magazine. I used frozen shrimp and thawed them and diced tomatoes with mild green chilies for a flavor boost. This can be transferred to a covered baking dish, instead of using the ovenproof skillet.
Top Review by TexasKelly
Hubby and I give this 5 stars. I cut the recipe in half but followed everything else exactly except I used more garlic and I added some cayenne pepper because we like things spicy. The directions were great, and everything worked exactly like it was supposed to. Will definately keep this on hand to make again! Thanks for posting.
- 1 lb extra-large shrimp, peeled, deveined
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 8 ounces chorizo sausages, cut in 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 6 medium garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups medium grain rice (uncooked)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1 (8 ounce) bottle clam juice
- 1 cup frozen peas
Directions See How It's Made
- Adjust oven rack to middle position.
- Heat oven to 350.
- Toss shrimp with 1 T. oil, paprika and 1/4 t. salt in a medium bowl.
- Heat 1 t. oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat until smoking. Add half of shrimp and cook until lightly browned, 30 to 40 seconds. Turn shrimp and cook 30 seconds longer. Transfer shrimp to clean bowl. Repeat with remaining shrimp. Cover bowl and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium and add remaining 1 T. oil, chorizo, onion and garlic. Cook until sausage begins to brown, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add rice and cook 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes, water, clam juice, and 1/2 t. salt.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, cover and transfer skillet to oven. Cook until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, 20 to 30 minute.
- Remove skillet from oven; stir in peas and scatter shrimp over top. Cover and set aside until shrimp and peas are heated through, about 5 minute.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve directly from hot skillet.