Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Cook's Country magazine. Be sure to purchase shredded hash brown potatoes (sometimes labeled "country style" rather than the cubed variety.
- 8 cups frozen hash brown potatoes
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots, thawed
- Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat broiler Toss potatoes with 2 tablespoons butter, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in large bowl.Wrap tightly with plastic and microwave until potatoes are tender 7 to 10 minutes.
- While potatoes are cooking, cook beef and onion in large heatproof skillet over medium high heat until beef is no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Drain beef mixture.
- .Return beef mixture to pan, stir in thyme and flour and cook until incorporated about 1 minute.Stir in broth and worcestershire and cook until sauce is thickened 6-8 minutes. Stir in pea and carrot combo and simmer until heated through, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.
- .Scatter cooked potatoes over beef mixture and brush with remaining butter. Broil until potatoes are golden brown. 3 to 5 minutes. Serve.