1/7 Photos of Skillet Shepherd's Pie
This is a quick and easy version of a classic, and the guys in my family raved about it. I'm posting here for safe keeping. It's a recipe from America's Test Kitchen.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Move oven rack to the upper-middle position and heat the broiler.
- 2Place the frozen hash browns in a large microwavable bowl and separate the shreds. (I pound them lightly with the back of a wooden spoon and they fall apart.) Toss them with 2 tbsp of the melted butter, 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Microwave the potatoes, covered, until tender - 7 - 10 minutes on high.
- 3Cook beef and onion in a large oven safe skillet until beef is cooked, about 5 minutes. Drain fat off.
- 4Stir thyme and flour into beef/onion mixture and cook about 1 minute. Add broth and Worcestershire sauce and cook about 6 - 8 minutes until thickened.
- 5Add peas and carrots to beef mixture and simmer until heated, about a minute, and season with salt and pepper.
- 6Scatter the cooked hash browns over the top of the beef mixture and brush with the rest of the butter.
- 7Place the skillet unter the broiler and broil 3 - 5 minutes or until the potatoes have golden brown tips.
- 8Remove from oven and serve.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Skillet Shepherd's Pie
Serving Size: 1 (832 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 899.3
- Calories from Fat 363
- Total Fat 40.3 g
- Saturated Fat 18.1 g
- Cholesterol 146.2 mg
- Sodium 836.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 91.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.9 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 45.2 g