Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is such a simple way to prepare basic tofu. I like to do this, then add it into a dish with lots of veggies and extra flavors. This is a great basic dish, though. From "This Can't Be Tofu!" by Deborah Madison.
- 1 (12 -15 ounce) carton firm tofu, drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce or 3 tablespoons steak sauce or 3 tablespoons tamari
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Slice the tofu crosswise, into 6 or 8 pieces, 1/2-inch thick or slightly less. Blot with paper towels.
- Heat the oil in a cast-iron skillet. When hot, add tofu and fry over medium-high heat until golden. Turn and cook the second side, about 10 minutes in all. Pour over the Worcestershire sauce and continue cooking until it evaporates, leaving tofu nicely glazed and seasoned. Salt and pepper to taste.