Prep 7 mins
Cook 38 mins
Southern Living Ultimate Quick and Easy Cookbook
- 1 (1 1/4 lb) package Italian sausage
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 medium red bell peppers, cut into strips
- 1 (8 ounce) packagesliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- Brown sausage in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet; add wine.
- Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until sausage is done.
- Uncover, bring to a boil, and reduce wine by two-thirds. Remove sausage, reserving drippings in skillet; keep sausage warm.
- Add onion, garlic, bell pepper, and mushrooms to skillet; saute until tender. Return sausage to skillet; add tomato sauce. Simmer 8 minutes or to desired consistency.
Mmmmmm... This was super yummy. I've made it twice already because it was so good. I made it as is, making no substitutions except for a yellow pepper for one of the reds because that's what I had on hand. The recipe didn't specify to remove the casings or not on the sausage; the first time I made it, I tried leaving it on.. The sausages were difficult for me to brown, and some sausage fell out of the ends anyway so we had a mix of big sausage tubes and small browned chunks like when browning ground beef. When eating it, we decided we much preferred the parts with the casing removed, so the second time I made it, that's what I did. My family had it over pasta, and I had it over spinach. It is delightful.