Prep 10 mins
Cook 16 mins
From BHG. Can be made over the coals of an open fire when camping or at home on the stove. When camping, cook the potatoes ahead of time and store in a cooler.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 cups cubed cooked potatoes
- 2 medium onions (cut into thin wedges or chopped)
- 1⁄2 lb smoked turkey sausage, diagonally sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 -1 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed, slightly crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to a 12-inch oven-proof skillet.
- Place skillet directly over hot coals or on the range top.
- Lift and tilt the skillet in order to cover the bottom of the skillet with oil.
- Cook the potatoes and onions, uncovered, in hot oil over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes or until onion is nearly tender, stir occasionally.
- Add in sausage and 1 tablespoon oil.
- Cook, uncovered, for about 10 more minutes or until potatoes and onions are tender and slightly brown, stirring often.
- Stir in thyme, cumin seed, salt, and pepper; cook for 1 more minute.