Prep 8 mins
Cook 10 mins
Not your traditional Sauerkraut and Franks!
- 1 (27 ounce) can sauerkraut, well drained (rinse if desired)
- 1 cup water or 1 cup chicken broth (I use the broth for more flavor)
- 2 teaspoons sugar (optional)
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed, lightly crushed
- 2 medium cooking apples, cored and cut in wedges
- 1 lb frankfurter
- minced parsley (optional)
- In large skillet combine sauerkraut, water, sugar and caraway seeds.
- Tuck apple wedges, skin side out, into sauerkraut.
- Place frankfurters on top.
- Cover; simmer 10 minutes or until apples are tender but not mushy and frankfurters are heated through.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
Super easy and delicious - and a great way to make sauerkraut! I was out of chicken broth so I used water and bouillion cubes. We had this with chips and hot dog rolls. A great weeknight dinner. Thanks for sharing this keeper!
I am not a huge sauerkraut fan, but my hubby's German heritage demands it once in awhile. I prepared this using the optional chicken broth and sweet Bavarian Sauerkraut. It is a simple meal of simple ingredients.
Simple but delicious. Very easy to make, filling and flavorful. Follow Tweeky's advice and don't cook it too long. A crisp green salad compliments it.