Recipe by Manami
This recipe was inspired by the popular Chilean sandwich, called a churrasco, that features a thin sandwich steak, mashed avocado and a type of salsa called Pebre. We used strip steak for sandwich steaks to make a satisfying dinner. If you have leftovers, layer the components in a mayonnaise-coated crusty roll and enjoy a churrasco sandwich the following day. Searing a steak on the stovetop and then finishing it in a moderate oven allows for good browning, and the gentle heat helps ensure a tender result.
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped vidalia onions or 1⁄2 cup walla walla onion
- 1 medium-large tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons minced jalapeno peppers (more if needed or wanted) or 2 tablespoons minced serrano peppers (more if needed or wanted)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar or 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 (8 -10 ounce) New York strip steaks, trimmed
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 avocados, pitted and peeled
Directions See How It's Made
- PREPARE PEBRE SAUCE:.
- Place onion in a medium bowl, cover with ice water and let soak for 10 to 20 minutes.
- Combine the onion, tomato, cilantro, jalapeno (or serrano), vinegar, garlic and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- PREPARE STEAK:.
- Mix paprika, cumin, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Rub the spice mixture evenly over both sides of steaks.
- Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet, such as cast iron, over medium-high.
- Add the steaks and cook just until browned, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and roast the steaks 5 to 7 minutes for medium-rare, depending on thickness.
- Transfer to a clean cutting board.
- Tent with foil and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mash avocados with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small bowl.
- Carve the steak into thin slices.
- Serve with the avocado and Pebre Sauce.