This recipe was inspired by the popular Chilean sandwich, called a churrasco, that features a thin sandwich steak, mashed avocado and a type of salsa called Pebre. We used strip steak for sandwich steaks to make a satisfying dinner. If you have leftovers, layer the components in a mayonnaise-coated crusty roll and enjoy a churrasco sandwich the following day. Searing a steak on the stovetop and then finishing it in a moderate oven allows for good browning, and the gentle heat helps ensure a tender result.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup finely chopped vidalia onions or 1/2 cup walla walla onion
- 1 medium-large tomato, seeded and diced
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons minced jalapeno peppers (more if needed or wanted) or 2 tablespoons minced serrano peppers (more if needed or wanted)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar or 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1PREPARE PEBRE SAUCE:.
- 2Place onion in a medium bowl, cover with ice water and let soak for 10 to 20 minutes.
- 4Combine the onion, tomato, cilantro, jalapeno (or serrano), vinegar, garlic and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl.
- 5Preheat oven to 325°F.
- 6PREPARE STEAK:.
- 7Mix paprika, cumin, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- 8Rub the spice mixture evenly over both sides of steaks.
- 9Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet, such as cast iron, over medium-high.
- 10Add the steaks and cook just until browned, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- 11Transfer the pan to the oven and roast the steaks 5 to 7 minutes for medium-rare, depending on thickness.
- 12Transfer to a clean cutting board.
- 13Tent with foil and let rest for 5 minutes.
- 14Meanwhile, mash avocados with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small bowl.
- 15Carve the steak into thin slices.
- 16Serve with the avocado and Pebre Sauce.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Skillet-Roasted Strip Steaks With Pebre Sauce & Avocado
Serving Size: 1 (282 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 460.3
- Calories from Fat 313
- Total Fat 34.8 g
- Saturated Fat 9.4 g
- Cholesterol 91.8 mg
- Sodium 506.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.9 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 26.1 g