Prep 10 mins
Cook 17 mins
This is a good mild red rice that is perfect to serve with a spicier Mexican dish. Very simular to what is served in Mexican restaurants. Have all ingredients ready to go when making, as prep steps go very quickly.
- Heat oil in 10" skillet over medium heat until hot.
- Add rice, cook and stir rice until it turn opaque white, approximately 2 minutes.
- Add onion, saute approximately 1 minute.
- Stir in garlic, salt, cumin, and chili powder.
- Add tomatoes, constantly stirring for approximately 2 minutes.
- Add chicken stock or broth, stir well. Increase heat to high until boiling then reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer until rice is almost tender approximately 15 minutes.
- Stir in peas, cover, and cook for an additional 2-4 minutes or until all liquid has been absorbed. Rice will be firm and will separate, not like steamed rice.
I made this for 50 musicians participating in our annual jazz festival. Half of them were Mexican and they loved it! There is no greater praise.
Very easy recipe with lots of flavor. Thank you for sharing it with us.