Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is a wonderful veggie side dish, the recipe can easily be doubled if desired to serve more than 4 people. This complete recipe is made in a skillet on top of the stove. This is just delicious! Prep time includes cooking the potatoes.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Made this to share with a neighbor couple & later wished I'd kept it right here, 'cause THIS SIDE DISH WAS SOOO GREAT ~ With the combo of bacon, garlic, peas & cheese, I could have eaten half of the entire thing! Definitely a keeper recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed in the Cookathon for Kittencal]
- 7 slices bacon, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (optional)
- 5 cups potatoes, peeled, COOKED and sliced
- salt and pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas, cooked only for a couple of minutes, and drained
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise (Use mayo not salad dressing, Hellman's is good)
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese (option)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet, cook bacon until crisp; remove with a slotted spoon to paper towel.
- Drain some of the bacon fat if desied, but leave some of the bacon fat in the pan.
- In the bacon drippings, saute onion and garlic (if using) until tender (about 3 minutes) and leave in the pan.
- In the skillet, layer the sliced cooked potatoes over the onions, season potatoes with salt and pepper.
- Top with peas, then sprinkle about 1-1/2 cups cheese over peas, then the bacon.
- Cover and simmer for about 5 minutes, or until just heated through.
- In a bowl, combine mayo and half and half until smooth; pour over bacon in the pan.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese (if using) then remaining 1-1/2 cups grated cheese.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.