Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
Use some of your winter vegetables in this hearty stew this winter.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs pork blade steaks, 2, trimmed, boned, cut into 3/4-inche cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (16 ounce) package button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 14 1⁄2 ounces chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen whole pearl onions
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 12 broccoli florets
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in deep 10-inch skillet and add mushrooms, saute until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add pork to skillet and saute until pieces are evenly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Add squash, broth, salt and pepper and heat to boiling, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In small bowl, combine cornstarch and water, stirring to blend thoroughly.
- Stir cornstarch mixture into skillet and add onions, heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat to low and cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir broccoli into skillet, cover and simmer 5-10 minutes longer until all vegetables are tender.
- If desired, top simmering stew with refrigerated biscuits after stirring in broccoli, cover and simmer until dumplings are cooked through.