Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
A delicious appetizer or side dish for your Mexican menu. Chill time of 2 hours.
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup white cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack pepper cheese
- white cornmeal
- vegetable oil
- Add water and broth to a saucepan; bring to a boil.
- Gradually stir in 1 cup cornmeal using a whisk.
- Return to a boil; lower heat, and cook, stirring continuously, for 5 minutes.
- Add in the whipping cream, and cook 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add in cheese and stir to combine.
- Transfer mixture to a greased 9-inch square pan.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours or until firm.
- Cut into 3-inch squares; dredge each square in cornmeal.
- Add oil to a depth of 1/2 inch to a large skillet.
- Heat oil; fry squares in hot oil over medium heat 2 minutes on each side or until golden.
- Drain squares on paper towels.
- Serve immediately with salsa.