Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A quick take on a time consuming dish! I whipped this up the other day with some leftover cabbage I had. Not bad for 30 mins! Try adding some sauerkraut or some garlic.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 small head of cabbage, shredded (I send my thru the food processor, you can probably chop it just make sure it is thin enough)
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 3⁄4 cup instant rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed (optional but really good)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef and onions. Do not drain.
- Add in shredded cabbage and cook for about 5-8 minutes til cabbage starts to look wilted.
- Add in beef broth, tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, and rice. Mix well.
- Add in salt, pepper,brown sugar, and caraway seeds.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat,cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until cabbage is tender.
This reminds me of Cabbage Rolls but all torn up! It was definately a change from the regular. I was nervous about the caraway seeds because I never cooked with them before but the flavor was not overwhelming just complementary. This dish was really easy to put together. I will be making this again.
Great recipe! I love the caraway seeds, very sauerkrautish. The only change was I used diced tomatoes instead of crushed and we liked it that way. Yummy!
I enjoyed this a lot. The caraway seeds really give it a great flavor. Per your suggestion, I did add garlic. I know it says not to drain the beef, but I did anyway. Still terrific with a little less fat. I will make this again. Thanx for a quick and easy recipe.