1/5 Photos of Skillet Okra and Rice
This is from a March 1994 Betty Crocker cookbooklet. My garden is doing great and I was looking for new and different ways to prepare okra. This is a nice low-fat version.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup long grain rice, uncooked
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup tomato, chopped
- 2/3 cup chicken stock or 2/3 cup broth
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme or 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper sauce
- 1 small bay leaf
- 8 ounces okra, cut into 1/2-inch slices or 8 ounces frozen cut okra
- 1In a 10-inch nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- 2Add the rice and cook about 3 minutes, stirring frequently or until lightly brown.
- 3Add the onion, bell pepper and garlic; cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently, or until onion begins to soften.
- 4Stir in remaining ingredeints except for the okra.
- 5Heat to boiling, reduce heat; cover and simmer until rice is tender.
- 6Add the okra, cover and simmer 10 minutes longer or until okra is tender.
- 7Remove bay leaf and serve.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Skillet Okra and Rice
Serving Size: 1 (182 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 153.1
- Calories from Fat 22
- Total Fat 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 1.6 mg
- Sodium 92.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 5.2 g