Prep 20 mins
Cook 24 mins
America's Test Kitchen
Make and share this Skillet Meaty Lasagna recipe from Food.com.
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans whole canned tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 lb ground beef (or meatloaf mix(beef, pork, veal)
- 10 curly-edged lasagna noodles, broken into 1 1/2- to 2-inch lengths
- 2 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded (1/2 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 6 ounces whole milk ricotta cheese (3/4 cup)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Pulse tomatoes in food processor until coarsely ground and no large pieces, about 12 pulses.
- Heat oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering.
- Add onion and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring often, until softened, 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add ground meat and cook, breaking up meat with wooden spoon, until no longer pink, 3-5 minutes.
- Scatter pasta in skillet, then pour processed tomatoes over top.
- Cover, increase heat to med-high, and cook at vigorous simmer, stirring often, until pasta is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Off heat, stir in half of mozzarella and half of Parmesan.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Dot heaping tablespoons of ricotta over noodles, then sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Cover and let stand off heat until cheese melts, 2-4 minutes.
- Sprinkle with basil and serve.