Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is an easy to prepare, one skillet dinner. I don't remember where I got it, but my family loves it and asks for it often. It is a good potluck dish if you double, or triple it. People will ask for your goulash recipe.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 8 ounces macaroni, uncooked
- 1⁄2 cup onion, minced
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 cup water (I use 1/2 water & 1/2 red wine)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- sliced mushrooms (If using them, add with the macaroni, etc.) (optional)
- Cook beef in a large skillet until no longer red.
- Remove from skillet, using a slotted spoon so as to save liquid in the skillet.
- Cook macaroni, onion and green pepper in drippings until macaroni is yellow.
- Return meat to skillet along with tomato sauce, water, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce.
- Cover and simmer 25 minutes.
This was good and easy to make. I had a pound of precooked burger in the freezer which made this even quicker to make for dinner. I used 12 ounces of pot pie bows as that is what I had on hand. I used 3 8 ounce cans of tomato sauce. I started with 2 cups of water but ending up adding about a cup more. I also added a boullion cube, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, the 1/4 teaspoon of pepper, the onions and peppers and the worcestershire sauce. I didn't add the mushrooms. We all enjoyed this. I topped mine with parmesan cheese.
Good comfort food! Didn't have onion or green pepper on hand, and had to substitute Tomato Soup for the tomato sauce. Tasted wonderful. Thanks for sharing!
I also found this recipe who knows where years and ago, then lost it. Glad to have it back... This is a great stand-by when you don't feel like making a mess. Cooks in one pan, easy and delicious. I used 1 8oz can of tomato sauce, and 1 12 oz can chopped tomatoes with sauce and 1/2 cup of ketchup. After cooking stovetop, I covered the top with grated cheddar cheese and browned it under the broiler. Served with corn niblets. Voila, Dinner !!!