Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A vegan redux of recipe 251617. http://www.food.com/recipe/skillet-macaroni-and-beef-251617
Make and share this Skillet Macaroni and Tvp Beef (Vegan) recipe from Food.com.
- 1. Cook TVP in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat about 3 minutes.
- 2. Add onion, red pepper, and garlic to fat in skillet and cook, covered, until softened, about 3 minutes.
- 3. Add macaroni, tomato sauce, broth, and oregano to skillet and bring to boil.
- 4. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until pasta is tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- 5. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with cheese. Serve.
I made this for dinner tonight and both my omnivorous roommate and I were VERY impressed! I rehydrated my TVP with a small amount of a vegetable bouillon cube in the boiling water, used an entire small red pepper and minced the garlic. I immediately added all of the ingredients for the first two steps, stirring and sauteeing everything in about a 1/2 tbsp olive oil for a minute or so before covering. I used whole wheat elbow macaroni and half a can of chopped tomatoes (leftovers from previous cooking), plus a tablespoon of sugar, and about 1/3 of a vegetable bouillon cube dissolved in boiling water for the broth (I always try to use more water and less bouillon to reduce the sodium a bit). Since I'm not vegan, I mixed in about 1 tablespoon of (packaged) parmesan cheese once it had finished cooking. With some salt, plenty of fresh ground black pepper and a sprinkling of red pepper flakes, it was just delicious!