Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I have another version of Skillet Macaroni and Cheese posted, but this one is different with the cheeses it includes and several other ingredients. In addition, it adds a bit of heat with the hot sauce. This recipe calls for homemade bread crumbs. To make them, pulse 2 slices of hearty white sandwich bread in a food processor until coarsely ground. The recipe is from Cook's Country.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 3 3⁄4 cups water, plus more as needed
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 3 cups elbow macaroni
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Melt butter in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add bread crumbs, 1/4 t salt, and 1/4 t pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until deep golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to bowl and wipe out skillet.
- Bring water, 1 1/4 cups evaporated milk, and 1/2 t salt to simmer in skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add macaroni and cook, stirring often, until macaroni is al dente, 8-10 minutes.
- Whisk remaining evaporated milk, cornstarch, and hot sauce in small bowl, then stir into skillet.
- Simmer until slightly thickened, about 1 minute.
- Off heat, stir in cheeses, one handful at a time, adding water as needed to adjust consistency.
- Sprinkle with toasted bread crumbs.
This is a great, one-pan easy homemade mac-n-cheese! The hot sauce is a necessary addition - didn't add any heat, just a nice rich flavor. I only added 4 cups of cheese (2 of each kind) and it was plenty creamy and cheesey. Thanks for posting this great recipe!
My boyfriend only likes kraft macaroni & cheese and he actually liked this. I thought it was easy to make and very good. The hot sauce didn't make it hot at all, but added a nice flavor. I left off the bread crumb topping because we don't really like cru nchy with our mac and cheese. Will make again for sure. Thanks for posting
I made this recipe for my sons Birthday dinner. I am a single Dad and don't cook recipes too often. It would have been great if it wasn't for the bread crumbs. It says 2 cups of bread crumbs and then sprinkle bread crumbs over mac and cheese. DO NOT need 2 cups of bread crumbs. Maybe a 1/2 cup at the most. I poored all bread crumbs over mac and cheese and it completely ruined it. Unfortunately had to throw it in the trash it was so bad. Waste of time and money.