1/1 Photo of Skillet Macaroni and Cheese
I have another version of Skillet Macaroni and Cheese posted, but this one is different with the cheeses it includes and several other ingredients. In addition, it adds a bit of heat with the hot sauce. This recipe calls for homemade bread crumbs. To make them, pulse 2 slices of hearty white sandwich bread in a food processor until coarsely ground. The recipe is from Cook's Country.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Melt butter in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- 2Add bread crumbs, 1/4 t salt, and 1/4 t pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until deep golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- 3Transfer to bowl and wipe out skillet.
- 4Bring water, 1 1/4 cups evaporated milk, and 1/2 t salt to simmer in skillet over medium-high heat.
- 5Add macaroni and cook, stirring often, until macaroni is al dente, 8-10 minutes.
- 6Whisk remaining evaporated milk, cornstarch, and hot sauce in small bowl, then stir into skillet.
- 7Simmer until slightly thickened, about 1 minute.
- 8Off heat, stir in cheeses, one handful at a time, adding water as needed to adjust consistency.
- 9Sprinkle with toasted bread crumbs.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Skillet Macaroni and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (591 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1225.4
- Calories from Fat 552
- Total Fat 61.4 g
- Saturated Fat 37.0 g
- Cholesterol 179.2 mg
- Sodium 1385.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 108.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 58.2 g