Recipe by Lainey39
I have another version of Skillet Macaroni and Cheese posted, but this one is different with the cheeses it includes and several other ingredients. In addition, it adds a bit of heat with the hot sauce. This recipe calls for homemade bread crumbs. To make them, pulse 2 slices of hearty white sandwich bread in a food processor until coarsely ground. The recipe is from Cook's Country.
Top Review by loof
This is a great, one-pan easy homemade mac-n-cheese! The hot sauce is a necessary addition - didn't add any heat, just a nice rich flavor. I only added 4 cups of cheese (2 of each kind) and it was plenty creamy and cheesey. Thanks for posting this great recipe!
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 3 3⁄4 cups water, plus more as needed
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 3 cups elbow macaroni
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add bread crumbs, 1/4 t salt, and 1/4 t pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until deep golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to bowl and wipe out skillet.
- Bring water, 1 1/4 cups evaporated milk, and 1/2 t salt to simmer in skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add macaroni and cook, stirring often, until macaroni is al dente, 8-10 minutes.
- Whisk remaining evaporated milk, cornstarch, and hot sauce in small bowl, then stir into skillet.
- Simmer until slightly thickened, about 1 minute.
- Off heat, stir in cheeses, one handful at a time, adding water as needed to adjust consistency.
- Sprinkle with toasted bread crumbs.