I have another version of Skillet Macaroni and Cheese posted, but this one is different with the cheeses it includes and several other ingredients. In addition, it adds a bit of heat with the hot sauce. This recipe calls for homemade bread crumbs. To make them, pulse 2 slices of hearty white sandwich bread in a food processor until coarsely ground. The recipe is from Cook's Country.
- Melt butter in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add bread crumbs, 1/4 t salt, and 1/4 t pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until deep golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to bowl and wipe out skillet.
- Bring water, 1 1/4 cups evaporated milk, and 1/2 t salt to simmer in skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add macaroni and cook, stirring often, until macaroni is al dente, 8-10 minutes.
- Whisk remaining evaporated milk, cornstarch, and hot sauce in small bowl, then stir into skillet.
- Simmer until slightly thickened, about 1 minute.
- Off heat, stir in cheeses, one handful at a time, adding water as needed to adjust consistency.
- Sprinkle with toasted bread crumbs.
This is a great, one-pan easy homemade mac-n-cheese! The hot sauce is a necessary addition - didn't add any heat, just a nice rich flavor. I only added 4 cups of cheese (2 of each kind) and it was plenty creamy and cheesey. Thanks for posting this great recipe!
My boyfriend only likes kraft macaroni & cheese and he actually liked this. I thought it was easy to make and very good. The hot sauce didn't make it hot at all, but added a nice flavor. I left off the bread crumb topping because we don't really like cru nchy with our mac and cheese. Will make again for sure. Thanks for posting
Such a simple way to make mac and cheese-I loved the fact that it was all in one pot! I used low fat evap milk and cheeses,and also skipped the breadcrumbs. A tasty and easy meal-thanks Lainey.