Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is easy and tasty when you need something quick.
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sweet onions, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon seasoning salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half cream
- 3⁄4 lb Velveeta cheese, cubed
- Cook macaroni, according to the package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onion and saute over low heat for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in flour until smooth.
- Stir in salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Gradually add cream; bring to a boil.
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat.
- Stir in cheese until melted.
- Drain macaroni; add to cheese mixture.
- Cook and stir for 3-4 minutes or until heated through.
This was good and easy to make. I followed the recipe as written and my family enjoyed it. My family told me that they thought I should leave out the nutmeg next time. They ate it and liked it but thought they would like it better without it. This was really creamy with not being too cheesy.
Very good macaroni and cheese. The sauce is easy to make and when adding the salt be careful as the cheese is salty too. Nice creamy cheese sauce without an overwhelming Velveeta flavor like in the store bought brands. I have enjoyed this and my grandson will too. Thank you Lainey6605 for posting your recipe, I will be making it again. Made and reviewed for the Kids Friendly Recipe Tag Game.