Recipe by Dr. Jenny
DH and I saw this recipe in a Williams-Sonoma catalog and tried it last night. We loved it! We used hot Italian sausage, as that is what we had on hand, and found we had to break the noodles a bit to get them to fit into our skillet. I definitely think this one is a keeper. Prep time includes resting time at the end. Cook time includes time to cook the lasagna noodles al dente, which is specified in the ingredient list, but not in the directions.
Top Review by Satyne
This was very yummy although I'm not sure how you're meant to put a frying pan in the oven. Do you mean a cast iron pan? I ended up cooking everything in a roasting pan that I could use on the stovetop. End result was a very big lasagne, got 8 serves. Threw in some extra veggies too. Made for Photo Tag Summer 2013
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage, casings removed
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley (to garnish)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage
- 9 dried lasagna noodles, cooked al dente
- 3 lbs butternut squash, peeled, neck portion sliced into wide thin sheets
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large nonstick fry pan over medium-high heat, warm oil. Cook onion 8 minutes.
- Add garlic, salt and pepper; cook 30 seconds. Transfer to bowl.
- Cook sausage, breaking it into pieces, 8 minutes. Add to onion mixture.
- In fry pan over medium heat, melt butter. Add flour; cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Slowly stir in milk; increase heat to medium-high; cook 8-10 minutes.
- Transfer to a separate bowl. Stir in 3/4 cup cheese, 1/4 cup parsley, sage, salt and pepper.
- Spread 1/3 cup sauce on bottom of fry pan; top with single layer of three noodles. Top with 1/3 cup of sauce, 1/3 cup sausage and layer of squash slices.
- Repeat layering of sauce, sausage and squash 5 more times, replacing squash layer with noodles every other layer. Top with remaining sauce and cheese.
- Bake 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle with 1 Tb parsley. Let stand 15 minutes.