1/2 Photos of Skillet Lasagna
1 hr 15 mins
I would have posted a photo, but there wasn't much left. I found this recipe in America's Test Kitchen 2006, and it's fantastic. I used cottage cheese instead of ricotta, but whatever you have on hand or prefer. I didn't use a nonstick skillet, and I found a 12" skillet wasn't large enough. I wound up cooking this in an actual skillet (the kind you plug in) by the time I got all the ingredients in the pan because there wasn't room to stir anything.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 medium garlic cloves (about 1 tablespoon in a garlic press)
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 10 curly-edged lasagna noodles, broken into 2-inch lengths
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup plus grated parmesan cheese plus 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- ground black pepper
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1Pour the tomatoes with their juices into a 1-quart liquid measuring cup.
- 2Add water until the mixture measures 1 quart.
- 3Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering.
- 4Add the onion, red bell pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook until the onion begins to brown, about 5 minutes.
- 5Stir in the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- 6Add the ground meat and cook, breaking apart the meat, until no longer pink, about 4 minutes.
- 7Scatter the pasta broken into 2" lengths over the meat but do not stir.
- 8Pour the diced tomatoes with their juices and tomato sauce over the pasta.
- 9Cover and bring to a simmer.
- 10Reduce the heat to a medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is tender, about 20 minutes.
- 11Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in 1/2 cup parmesan.
- 12Season with salt and pepper.
- 13Dot with heaping tablespoons of the ricotta, cover, and let stand off the heat for 5 minutes.
- 14Sprinkle with the basil and the remaining 2 tablespoons parmesan and serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Skillet Lasagna
Serving Size: 1 (377 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 866.2
- Calories from Fat 426
- Total Fat 47.4 g
- Saturated Fat 18.9 g
- Cholesterol 107.0 mg
- Sodium 2219.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
- Sugars 12.8 g
- Protein 44.1 g