Recipe by BlondeChick80
It's like making a lasagna on the stove top without all the baking. Oh wait.. that's exactly it! It's pretty easy to make. My husband loves it! This recipe is adapted from America's Test Kitchen recipe titled the same, but I changed a few things.
Top Review by cookingpompom
We loved this but had an issue with the noodles sticking together - which never quite cooked through BUT re-heated well (next time I will stir them to separate to stop the sticking). I left out the ricotta ( it went off after only 3 days in the fridge - obviously not fresh), I added a layer of parmesan cheese in its place (about 1/2 a cup). I will make this again, but will be more aware of the pasta sticking issue. Thanks for the recipe
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can water (approx)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed through a garlic press (about 1 Tbsp)
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 lb ground beef (or pork, chicken, sausage, etc...)
- 14 lasagna noodles, broken up into pieces about 2 inches long
- 1 (26 ounce) jarof your favorite pasta sauce
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the Onion and 1/2 tsp salt and cook until the onion begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the ground meat and cook, breaking apart the meat, until no longer pink, about 4 minutes.
- Scatter the pasta over the meat but do not stir. Pour on the diced tomatoes, the water and the jar of sauce over the noodles. Cover and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to a med-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the parmesan cheese. Dot with heaping tablespoons of the ricotta and sprinkle the top with shredded mozzarella. Let stand about 5 minutes. Serve.
- optional: before serving sprinklw with 2 Tbsp parmesan and 3 Tbsp chopped fresh basil.