Recipe by White House Recipes
Got this in an email from America's Test Kitchen, from their new book "The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook"
- 793.78 g can diced tomatoes
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 0.59 ml red pepper flakes
- 453.59 g meatloaf mix (ground beef, and 8 ounces ground pork. for spicier flavour increase the amount of red pepper flakes )
- 226.79 g curly-edged lasagna noodles, broken into 2-inch lengths (10)
- 226.79 g can tomato sauce
- 28.34 g parmesan cheese, grated (1/2 cup)
- 226.79 g whole milk ricotta cheese (about 1 cup)
- 59.14 ml minced fresh basil
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour the tomatoes with their juice into a quart measuring cup. Add enough water to the tomatoes to measure 4 cups.
- Heat the oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Add the meatloaf mix and cook, breaking up the meat into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the noodle pieces evenly over the meat. Pour the diced tomatoes and tomato sauce over the pasta. Cover and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is tender, about 20 minutes. (The sauce should look watery after 15 minutes of cooking. If dry, add up to 1/4 cup additional water to loosen the sauce.).
- Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in 1/2 cup Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Dot heaping tablespoons of the ricotta over the noodles. Cover the skillet and let stand off the heat for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the basil and serve, passing the extra Parmesan separately.