Recipe by Coppercloud
All in one pan. To make fresh bread crumbs, pulse two slices of hearty white sandwich bread in a food processor until coarsely ground.
- 1 lb smoked beef sausage, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- salt & pepper
- 3 3⁄4 cups water
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 3 cups elbow macaroni (uncooked, 12oz)
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded-12oz
- 2 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded-8oz
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Brown sausage in 12" non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, 6-8 minutes Transfer to paper towel lined plate.
- 2. Add bread crumbs and 1/4 teaspoon each of salt & pepper to skillet and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer to bowl and wipe out skillet.
- 3. Bring water, 1-1/4 cups evaporated milk, and 1/2 teaspoon salt to simmer over medium-high heat. Add pasta and cook, stirring often, until al dente, 8-10 minutes.
- 4. Whisk remaining evaporated milk, hot saucer and cornstarch together in a bowl, then stir into pasta. Bring to simmer and good until begins to thicken, about 1 minute.
- 5. Remove from heat and add cheeses and sausage. Sprinkle with bread crumbs & enjoy!