Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Southern Living; good and easy. A New Year's Day classic.
Top Review by Boopster
Nurse Di! Made this last night. Dahling and I inhaled it! Sauteed some celery with the onion and upped the garlic and chicken broth. Added a bay leaf, 1 tsp hot sauce and a little Italian seasoning, plus some diced ham. Used frozen black-eyes. WOW!!! Thanks a bunch!!!!
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 2 (16 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups chicken bouillon or 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- crushed red pepper flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion and garlic in butter until onion is tender.
- Stir in black-eyed peas, chicken bouillon, rice, salt, and 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper.
- Bring mixture to a boil; cover and simmer 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Serve with additional crushed red pepper.