This is a recipe adapted from an America's Test Kitchen fast and fresh recipe card. I made it for the family tonight, and they loved it. Using the steak made it fast and above the ordinary.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 beef strip steaks, about 1/2 inch thick and trimmed of fat
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, halved and sliced thin
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup sweet paprika (don't use hot or smoked paprika for this dish)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 cups beef broth
- 8 ounces egg noodles
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1Pat steaks dry and season them on both sides with salt and pepper.
- 2Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers.
- 3Cook steaks about 3 minutes per side until nice and brown. Transfer to a plate, cover with foil, and set aside.
- 4Heat remaining oil in the skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add onion and bell pepper and cook until they are softened, about 5 minutes.
- 5Stir in paprika and tomato paste and cook about 30 seconds.
- 6Stir in broth and noodles and cook covered, stirring occasionally for about 8 minutes, or until the noodles are tender.
- 7Remove from heat and cover.
- 8Cut steaks in half lengthwise and slice into thin strips. Stir steak and drippings into the noodle mixture.
- 9Add sour cream, taste for seasoning, and adjust if necessary before serving.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Skillet Goulash
Serving Size: 1 (679 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 446.7
- Calories from Fat 202
- Total Fat 22.4 g
- Saturated Fat 7.2 g
- Cholesterol 65.5 mg
- Sodium 640.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 12.9 g