Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a recipe adapted from an America's Test Kitchen fast and fresh recipe card. I made it for the family tonight, and they loved it. Using the steak made it fast and above the ordinary.
- 4 beef strip steaks, about 1/2 inch thick and trimmed of fat
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, halved and sliced thin
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sweet paprika (don't use hot or smoked paprika for this dish)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 cups beef broth
- 8 ounces egg noodles
- 2⁄3 cup sour cream
- Pat steaks dry and season them on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until it shimmers.
- Cook steaks about 3 minutes per side until nice and brown. Transfer to a plate, cover with foil, and set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in the skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add onion and bell pepper and cook until they are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in paprika and tomato paste and cook about 30 seconds.
- Stir in broth and noodles and cook covered, stirring occasionally for about 8 minutes, or until the noodles are tender.
- Remove from heat and cover.
- Cut steaks in half lengthwise and slice into thin strips. Stir steak and drippings into the noodle mixture.
- Add sour cream, taste for seasoning, and adjust if necessary before serving.