Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I invented this tonight. It is an Italian flavored stew of sorts. Very tasty over brown rice. I knew the flavors I wanted but didn't have a recipe to follow so went with my instict. I think I did a good job. There are a lot of steps here but this is a very simple recipe. This (with the brown rice) was a great meal but it would be equally as good as a side to a simple grilled steak or grilled chicken or just on its own. I imagine you could also stuff this into a good Italian bread for a yummy sandwich, maybe with some provalone or mozzarella cheese melted over the top.
- Cut eggplant in quarters then into thin, bite size slices.
- Chop the kale and descard the tough bottom part of the stems.
- Cut onion into quarter and then slice thin.
- Chop garlic.
- Warm olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet (I use an electric one).
- Add onion and a little salt. The salt will keep the onion from getting too brown too quick.
- Cook until it gets soft and starts to brown and then add the eggplant, kale and garlic.
- Stir and add the fennel, seasoned salt, sage and oregano.
- Stir to combine and when the garlic starts to lightly brown add the broth.
- Let bubble and stir until all the liquid evaporated then add the marinata sauce.
- Stir to combine and warm sauce.
- Drain the beans and rinse well. Add the beans and stir gently. Cook to warm through.
- Remove from heat and toss well with the balsamic vinegar.
- Serve hot.