Recipe by Irmgard
This Greek-inspired recipe is wonderful served with warm pita bread and a serving of Dancer's Meditterenean Orange-Olive Salad.
- 1 lb eggplant, peeled
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 1 (7 1/2 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the eggplant into 1/2" thick slices.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt and spread out in a single layer on a paper towel.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the beef, onion, and garlic over medium-high heat, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, for about 5 minutes or until browned.
- Drain off the excess fat.
- Stir in the wine, tomato sauce, parsley, oregano, cinnamon and pepper.
- Pat the eggplant dry.
- Overlap the slices on top the of the meat mixture.
- Reduce the heat to low; cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the eggplant is tender, turning the slices once.
- Top with the mozzarella and sprinkle with paprika to taste.
- Serve immediately.
- Pass the parmesan cheese separately.