Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
No idea when or where I picked up this recipe, but I've had it around for over 30 years! It's a quick & easy-to-make chicken dish! Preparation & cooking times do not include cooking the rice.
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup whole berry cranberry sauce
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 8 cups hot cooked brown rice
- Melt margarine in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion & chicken strips & saute 2-3 minutes until tender.
- Except for the rice, stir in the rest of the ingredients, & bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat & simmer 15 minutes.
- Serve over hot rice.
I really liked this recipe and it was very easy. I also changed it up a bit, especially since there were so many comments about the sweetness. I put in about 1Tbl of ketchup, a whole can of cranberry sauce, 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar and 2 TBL of stone ground mustard. I also let it simmer about 30 mins. It was really good. Next time I will add some cracked pepper and some fresh cranberries too. Yummy!
Yummy and quick. Will definitely make this again on a busy night. I used a bit over 1 pound of chicken breast tenders, which I cut into smaller strips. This recipe makes a LOT of sauce. The sauce is very sweet. I think next time I will use the whole can of cranberry sauce, as someone else mentioned, and omit the brown sugar and use 1 1/2 pounds of chicken (for a generous 6 to 8 servings). Between the ketchup and the cranberry sauce, there is already plenty of sweetness. Thanks for the recipe!
LOVED this! The 4 of us gobbled it up! It is a different twist on sweet and sour chicken. Will make this again for sure!