Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
From the 'Weekly' newspaper.
- 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pitted dried plum (prunes)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar and baking powder.
- Make a well in the center.
- Pour margarine into the well.
- Add egg, buttermilk and prunes.
- Stir just to mix all ingredients together.
- DO NOT OVERMIX.
- Put the batter into a greased baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the bread is golden on top.
- Allow it to cool.
- Cut into 8 wedges.
THis had a great taste to it. I made mean chef pulled pork and had a bag of dried plums and was looking for something to make, this went well with our meal. It seemed to need a little more liquid. It was dry, next time I will add more buttermilk and update my review. Thanks for a good recipe.