Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Traditionally this is made in a cast iron skillet.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 2 1⁄4 cups cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 egg
- Place shortening in a 10-inch skillet with ovenproof handle or 9-inch square baking pan.
- Place in oven.
- Heat to 425°.
- Skillet will be very hot and shortening will be melted.
- While skillet is heating, combine dry ingredients; add milk and egg, mixing well.
- Add melted shortening; mix well.
- Pour batter into HOT prepared skillet.
- BAKE 35 to 40 minutes OR until surface cracks and edges are deep golden brown and pull away from sides of pan.
- Serve warm.
- Traditionalists make this in a cast iron skillet with white corn meal.
Just like my grandma use to make, and taught me how!
We thought it could use a bit more salt but it was excellent.